Download Something in the Water 2013.pdf
The odds of playing in the National Hockey League are astronomical. Far less than 1% of all minor hockey league players ever make it that far and, for most, it’s simply an impossible dream. The numbers are just too great.
Yet in all of this, with all these possibilities stacked against it ever happening, there’s a small town in central Ontario that’s produced an impressive succession of professional hockey players over the last thirty years.
Four players, with over 2,300 NHL games and 1,800 career points between them, born into a town of barely 5,000 residents.
And that’s just the beginning of the story…
- Ron Stackhouse is a 12 year NHL veteran who still shares the record for most assists in one game by a defenseman.
- Bernie Nicholls played 18 NHL seasons and remains one of only five players in league history to register 150 points in one season.
- Cody Hodgson is a 2008 1st round pick and highly-touted prospect with the Buffalo Sabres.
- And Matt Duchene was drafted third overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and was a finalist for 2010 Rookie of the Year.
All were born and raised in Haliburton Ontario, a quaint little town known mostly for its abundance of lakes and woods, wildlife and hospitality. It’s a fairly non-descript place yet, when it comes to the world of professional hockey, this tiny village walks amongst giants.
- Its only sports store is owned by a former Chicago Blackhawk.
- Its favourite restaurant was founded by a long-time Toronto Maple Leaf
- And one of its most notable and charitable residents is a former NHL Referee in Chief and Hockey Hall of Fame inductee.
Haliburton is also the birthplace of The Haiburton Hockey Haven, one of the most innovative and legendary hockey schools in history. Bobby Orr spent a lot of his summers there. So did Bernie Parent, and Johnny Bower, and Ron Ellis and Red Kelly. The list is long.
It’s all here, in this story, in this film about Haliburton Ontario, about a very small town with a very big name in NHL hockey circles. See and hear the story for yourself, from the people who made the town into the story that it is, featuring interviews with Matt Duchene, Roy MacGregor, Bernie Nicholls, Ron Ellis, Greg Millen, Glenn Healy and Bernie Parent – among a LOT of others.
Find out if truly..
THERE’S SOMETHING IN THE WATER
A one hour documentary based on the book There’s Something About This Place by author/director Charlie Teljeur of The Hockey News.